Beef and Horseradish Stew - Slow Cooker Recipe
This very simple beef casserole has a lovely warming hit of horseradish and mustard. It’s so easy and perfect for winter evenings.
Double Up & Freeze!
Nutritional information per serving
12g net carbohydrates (7.5g net carbs if low carb)
2 tbsp plain flour or cornflour (almond or coconut flour for those who are low carb)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground ginger
1kg stewing beef, diced
1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
3 red onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500ml hot bone or beef stock
200g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp creamed horseradish sauce
salt and ground black pepper
• Preheat your slow cooker, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Combine the flour, paprika and ginger in a bowl, add the diced beef and toss to coat.
• If your slow cooker has a sauté function, you can use this; if not, use a sauté pan on your hob. Heat the olive oil or coconut oil, add the beef and cook until brown. Place in the slow cooker (if you used a separate pan).
• Add the onions, garlic and stock to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
• Set to Low, cover and cook for 6–8 hours.
• Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, remove the lid, add the mushrooms, mustard and horseradish, and stir well until combined. Set to High, cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked.
• Serve with green vegetables and creamy mash. (Use cauliflower or celeriac mash if you are low carb)
This recipe was taken from my latest book, Slow Cooker Family Classics