Green Squeak Patties
A great way to get some extra veg into your diet and to use up any leftovers you may have in your fridge. You can use cauliflower, broccoli, greens or even courgette for these little beauties. I prefer broccoli but that is personal choice. I like to cook them until golden and crispy.
This recipe is found in my book, Eating to Beat Type 2 Diabetes, by Sarah Flower
Nutritional information Each Pattie
1.2g net carbohydrates
1 head of broccoli or cauliflower
Half bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
100g mature cheddar, grated,
6 slices of bacon or pancetta, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
Seasoning to taste
• Steam your cauliflower or broccoli until soft.
• While that is steaming, you can fry your diced bacon in a little butter or coconut oil until nice and crispy.
• Place the cauliflower or broccoli in a bowl and mash, or you can use your food processor.
• Once mashed, add the spring onions, cheese, cooked crispy bacon/pancetta, egg and wholegrain mustard and mash/combine together thoroughly. Season to taste.
• Form into small patties, don’t worry if they are lumpy as this is part of their charm.
• You can bake or fry these patties on both sides until golden. I bake for 20 minutes at 180ºc/gas mark 4