Keto Slow Cooked Rollatini
This is my variation of an Italian dish where you use aubergine stuffed with ricotta and served in a delicious tomato sauce. You have to be very careful when you make these, allowing the aubergine rolls to cook without fiddling with them too much as they break apart easily. I would suggest finishing with a sprinkle of parmesan or mature cheddar and popping under the grill to brown before serving.
Taken from my book Keto Slow Cooker, by Sarah Flower
Suitable for Vegetarians
Vegan/Dairy free option
Nutritional information Per Serving
8.8g net carbohydrates
1 large aubergine
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 small onion, very finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp basil
100ml vegetable stock (bone stock if not vegetarian)
Seasoning to taste
150g baby leaf spinach
½ tsp nutmeg
50g grated parmesan, mozzarella or mature cheddar (avoid if dairy free)
· Preheat your slow cooker, following your manufacturer’s instructions.
· Slice the aubergine lengthways, as thin as you can. Place the slices on a plate or baking tray lined with kitchen towel and sprinkle with sea salt. Leave for 15 minutes.
· Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs into the slow cooker, add 100ml vegetable stock, season and combine well. Set to high while you prepare the rest of the dish.
· Place the spinach in a colander and run under hot water until it starts to wilt. Place the wilted spinach into a bowl. Add the mascarpone and nutmeg. Season well.
· Place a generous spoonful of the spinach mixture onto the edge of one of the aubergine slices and roll very carefully. Place this into the slow cooker, making sure the open edge of the roll is on the base to hold it in place. Continue with the remaining slices.
· Turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for 4-6 hours. When ready to serve, remove the pot from the slow cooker, sprinkle some parmesan, mozzarella or mature cheddar cheese over the rolls and place under the grill until the cheese is golden.
· Serve with a lovely green salad.